Monday, June 1, 2009

Expectations about cultural differences between Germany and US

1. Intercultural Analysis blog entry # 1

I will have to start by saying that I did not know how much influence the United States had in the European countries in general. It is amazing how you can see McDonalds and Burger King on every corner in urban cities. There is a Burger King and/or a McDonald’s establishment even in the smallest towns outside from the big populations and all the way around Europe. When we were driving from Munich to Berlin, we were able to see the big signs of either McDonalds or Burger King establishments even in the most isolated places. What has caught my attention about this phenomenon is that depending in which city and what country you are at the menu of the establishment automatically varies. We can say that this is an example of marketing strategy to adapt a product to another culture.

Picture of McDonald in Germany

With all my travels, I noticed an area where America is lacking. Like big cities in America, Berlin has a diversity of cultures. The biggest immigrant communities are Turkish and Russian, said Maria Elena Villar. I also realized how behind we are in the US. In Europe, the average person speaks at least 3 different languages. This inspires me to learn more languages. The first on my list will be Italian because I found it to be a very helpful for my future.


Picture of McDonald Barcelona, Spain

I have learned a lot from this experience so far and I am looking forward to learning even more.



No comments:

Post a Comment